Status: Permanent, Full-Time (Position may work from either Whitehorse or Burwash Landing)
Salary: LT-4, $29.53 to $42.02 per hour ($53,737.15 to $76,481.08/annum depending on experience)
Based on 70 hours biweekly
Under the direction of the Natural Resources Manger, the Environmental Officer is responsible for monitoring and administering environmental acts, regulations, policies and procedures. This includes assessing development applications where KFN has jurisdiction and making recommendations regarding those applications to senior staff or Council. As well, they are responsible for monitoring projects within KFN jurisdiction or in co-management areas and serve as the overall technical support to KFN in matters relating to the environment.
- Implementing and coordinating KFN’s responsibilities under YESAA
- Engage with Haines Junction Designated Office on projects in KFN Traditional Territory
- Work with YESSA templates to address values, impacts and mitigations
- Conduct and perform environmental assessments and compliance monitoring by on-site visits and reviewing developer/operator terms and conditions on permits and licenses
- Collection and dissemination of environmental issues related information including research and adaptation by gathering information from citizens, articles, and other government agencies
- Monitor environmental cleanups
- Assist in the development of a strategy to deal with environmental issues facing the KFN Traditional Territory
The position requires a minimum of 2 years Post-Secondary Education in the field of environmental assessment (YESAA) or completion of Environmental Officer Training Program or equivalent. Some work experience in environmental assessment and monitoring.
We thank you in advance for your application, however only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Posting Date: November 24, 2021, 2021
Internal Closing Date: December 1, 2021 – External Closing Date: December 8, 2021
NOTE: Current employees, KFN citizens and community members will be considered as Internal Applicants.