Director Public Works & Municipal Services (PWMS)
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary: LT-2, $48.05 to $67.57 per hour (depending on experience)
Based on 70 hours biweekly
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Public Works and Municipal Services (PWMS) Director is responsible for the overall administration of the KFN PWMS Department. The Director will provide management and direction for housing, capital projects, and public works. The Director is also responsible for leading capital planning, departmental budget planning, and securing project funding.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct, monitor, and oversee all the activities of the PWMS Department.
- Lead the restructuring of the PWMS department, its roles, and responsibilities based on the recent evaluation and the Council’s strategic priorities.
- Develop and implement a housing and infrastructure strategy for the Traditional Territory in consultation with Council, Elders, other KFN departments, Citizens, and other local people.
- Prepare an annual department plan and an operating and capital budget for Council approval based on Council’s strategic priorities.
- Provide ongoing needs assessments for housing, capital infrastructure, and public works.
- Establish and oversee the implementation of health and safety standards and requirements for all department employees and workspaces, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act, safety meetings, initiatives, and compliance.
- Ensure staff is sufficiently trained to carry out their duties and responsibilities in a safe and productive manner and in accordance with regulations.
- Resolve any problems with contractors or work crews.
- Develop policies for determining housing allocation, renovation priorities, and construction priorities.
- Develop and schedule maintenance and replacement procedures for buildings and other assets owned by KFN.
- Develop new housing initiatives.
Education and Experience
- The individual in this position should possess a degree in Construction Management, Project Management, Civil Engineering, or a related, relevant field.
- Extensive experience in cost estimating, project development and management, budgeting, and financial management is required with a minimum of five (5) years in public works or a related field at a mid-to senior-level supervisory position with an eagerness to continue to develop professionally.
- Significant experience in a management role in the construction industry (or a related field) will be considered as equivalent to formal training.
- Experience in strategic planning, annual budget processes, financing reporting and forecasting.
- Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Yukon First Nation history, culture, and traditions.
- Strong leadership, project management, organizational and supervisory skills.
- Strong financial management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead, motivate, and mentor staff.
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a positive and constructive manner.
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction management including:
- Understanding the roles of various trades
- Cost and material estimating
- Project scheduling
- Leading design development and managed consultants.
- The ability to read and interpret construction drawings
- Understanding and implementing building codes
- Writing, negotiating, and administering contracts
- Familiarity with CCDC and CCA contract formats
- Tendering procedures
- Knowledge of drinking water and waste handling safety procedures and regulations.
- Strong computer literacy in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word) and preferably also experience in using project management, property management, or construction industry software)
• Extended Health care
• Travel Insurance
• Life insurance
• Dental Care
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Class 5 Yukon Drivers Licence (some travel required)
- Criminal Records Check
- Willingness to work extra hours as required to accomplish the goals of the position
Please submit applications to: Manager HR Timothy Cant at email@example.com
Thank you for your application, however, only qualifying candidates will be contacted.
Posting date: April 18, 2023
Internal Closing Date: April 25, 2023 External Closing Date: Until filled.