July 27, 2016
Dear Kluane First Nation Citizen,
Re: Kluane First Nation Election 2016 - UPDATE
Citizen's questioned the validity of the call for the SGA scheduled for today, therefore, the SGA became a special information session on the Election Act Amendments. During the discussions and in consultation with KFN's legal advisors the following items will be addressed at the upcoming SGA:
- Report from Council on Emergency Powers (Section 21 of “Rules for the People” Act)
- KFN Election Act Amendments
- Inclusion of electronic voting (Election Act: new Section 14)
- Candidate Requirements (as per 2015 and 2016 GA Resolutions, Election Act: Section 10)
- Minors edits to ensure consistency between Acts
- Election time frame (Election Act: Section 7, 10, 14, 15)
- Fixed date of election (Election Act: Section 7)
- Constitutional Amendments
- Fixed date of election
- Council terms (Section 8.10)
- Council term extension until the Election 2016
- KFN Resolutions Committee appointments for the year of 2017.
Council met after the special meeting to call the Special Assembly for Wednesday August 17, 2016 and to discuss the timeframe for KFN Election 2016. Under the current Election Act timeframes, the earliest the Election can be held is October 21, 2016.
Please be advised that over the next three weeks the Election Committee will be actively be consulting Citizens about the proposed amendments primarily electronically. Please check your email regularly. If we do not have your email on file please email registrar(at)kfn.ca.